Tenses have been an important rules in the structure of English sentences. It have been a guidelines to create well structured English sentences for years. While Tenses is very important in the past, it is not that really important in todays dialogues. In the past, people without knowledge in English tenses will face severe difficulties in creating good structured English sentences. Today, People without knowledge in English still able to communicate without much problems as long as the others, the people they talking with, understand the points. However, it is still really important to master all English verb tenses. Sometimes it will be disaster without knowing all English verb tenses. Students whom learning in English department should fully understand all the tenses or they will not be able to follow the lesson. All the English Verb Tenses will be divided into 4 sections. Each sections has it own sub sections. Read all information about them below.
Four importants English Verb Tenses are:
- Simple Tenses. It is the basic tenses in grammar. Mastering this tenses is a must. This tenses in my opinion almost has no difficulties at all. No difficulties at all is possible by using the correct techniques. Other wise, so much problems will arise by using inappropriate techniques in learning. Simple Tenses IMO is the foundation of all tenses. Without learning it, it is almost impossible to understand the other tenses. So, this is an easy tenses to learn but also the most important tenses as it is not possible to learn the others without mastering simple tenses first. Simple Present means basic tenses that will be expanded in the next tenses.
- Progressive Tenses. This tenses is popular with the name of Continuous Tenses. In fact, local students and teachers are familiar with the word Continuous tenses than Progressive tenses. I do believe the word Progressive is more polite and often used in England while the word continuous means flexibility and exactly match with the description of the tenses. Whatever the name, it is not that important. What the matter is the tenses has medium difficulties. Sometimes it can be really hard. Especially for students without knowledge of previous basic simple tenses above. Progressive Tenses means the event is happening when I am typing this text. It can be at this time, in the past or even in the future. What the matter is it happening while I’m writing this article right now or when I was writing the article in the past or if I will be writing this articles in the future. If reading previous sentences make you dizzy then you need more times learning Progressive or Continuous Tenses otherwise you may continue reading the next sections.
- Perfect Tenses. The word perfect doesn’t means this tenses is perfect to be used in every sentences. Perfect in this word only means the activities or event have been perfectly done. The event is not happen at the current times nor happening at this time. It just already happen. The event is Perfectly done by the subject. Perfect Tenses can be really hard as it has hard difficulties. Students will need help in understanding this tenses. While both previous tenses above, Simple tenses and Progressive Tenses can be mastered without anyone help, this tenses is nearly impossible to learn without anyone helps. In my own Opinion, I still believe regular or genius students whom never learn tenses will be able to fully understand simple and continuous tenses by learning only from the grammar available in dictionaries. For perfect Tenses, it can be difficult for them. At least that is what I think at the moment.
- Present Perfect Progressive Tenses. This is by the far, the most difficult tenses in all categories. Sometimes, I saw lots of English teachers in local schools didn’t fully understand it. Learning it without fully understand previous tenses is not possible. This tenses posses great challenge for the English learners. Mastering this tenses will not be so easy. Many tutorials and guidelines available in the internet were greats but it will not really help local students or teachers. In fact, most of them will only going to add more confusion to local students and teachers. This is due to the difference of the language and customs used in the tutorials or guidelines. some teachers even said learning by reading from the foreigner’s tutorials make them have hard times to differentiate between each tenses. It is best to teach students and teacher using local language. Using foreigner languages will not really helpful for learning grammar. It may help in learning other kinds of English resources but not with grammar. If you want to learn it by yourself, be sure to grab books which have instructions and guidelines using local language.
English Verb Tenses are divided into four pieces and you can read them above. As what have been stated, each of them has their own sub sections. Future post will teach anyone to fully mastered all tenses in the grammar easily. All about Simple Tenses will be explained in An Overview of Simple present tense that has three sub sections named as:
- An Overview of Simple Past Tenses.
- An Overview of Simple Future Tenses.
- An Overview of English Progressive Tenses in Grammar.
Detailed information about Progressive Tenses will be explained in An Overview of Present Progressive Tenses that has three sub sections such as:
- An Overview of past Progressive Tenses.
- An Overview of Future Progressive Tenses.
- An Overview of English Perfect Tenses in Grammar.
Perfect Tenses is not an easy grammar to learn. All detailed information about it available in An Overview of Present Perfect Tenses which categorized in three tenses:
- An Overview of Past Perfect Tenses.
- An Overview of Future Perfect Tenses.
- An Overview of English Perfect Progressive Tenses in Grammar.
The last Section of English Verb Tenses is Present Perfect Progressive that will be explained in An Overview of English Perfect Progressive Tenses in Grammar. This tenses has three essential sections. All of them are:
- A simple Overview of Present Perfect Progressive Tenses.
- A Simple Overview of Past Perfect Progressive Tenses.
- A Simple Overview of Future Perfect Progressive Tenses.
Be sure to read future posts as it will contains various articles explained about all of those tenses along with special techniques on how to master all of them using less efforts. If anyone want to learn all about them, I encourage to learn from the basic. Any questions can be written in the comment form below. If you want to copy the articles, be sure to ask first and give appropriate links. I would likely give permission for anyone whom ask it. In my opinion, writing DMCA complaint is a something that I don’t want to do except the condition force me to do such things. I believe you understand it better than me. ARICK (Mochammad Rifai).
Updated (June 23,2012): adding tiny information about English Verb Tenses and updating some sections which need attention in plural and not plural.