CHAPTER I always has an INTRODUCTION which consist of Background of the Study, Statement of the Problems, Objective of the study, Significance of the study, Limitation of the Study and Definition of Key Terms. The explanation about Chapter one is available below:
- Chapter One: an opening chapter which help the reader with the content and focus of the Skripsi.
- Background of the Study: Reasons to choose the title and any related topic which in fluent the student to choose the title.
- Statement of the Problems: filled with information about the topic and its issues.
- Objective of the study: The object and purpose while doing some extensive researches.
- Significance of the study: The purpose of the Skripsi and benefit for others.
- Limitation of the Study: Each study or research need to be limited to keep the discussion stay on topic.
- Definition of Key Terms: Definition for each words used in Title of the Skripsi. It was used to help readers in understanding the topic.
Here is an example for all sections available in Chapter One plus Chapter two.
1.1 Background of the Study
English is an international language, which is used by most people all over the world, taught and learnt in many countries all over the world either as second language of foreign language.
In globalization era, where limitation among the countries almost doesn’t exist and in other side the relationship among them will grow up, mastering English is very important to communicate with foreign people and to survive in that area.
Moreover, English is one of international language and it is also as a foreign language for Indonesia it self. Crystal (1997) argued that English is an important language as it is spoken by many people in many countries. Based on the statement above: English is admitted by all countries and used to communicate among countries. And English is a foreign language that is learned by Indonesian people. The English language is one of the subject included in the curriculum of elementary school, junior school, senior high school and university, because English is needed by Indonesian people to effort and develop our country.
It has been observed that they are curious to know the English more master the language skill such as listening, speaking, reading, writing, which all of them presented integrated. If we want to use the language properly, we have to know many aspects in teaching and learning English for communication. One form of communication is interaction between speakers.
Learning English is not only learning vocabulary and grammar but also to use and apply both of them in communication activity. If the students master vocabulary and grammar they can communicate well but the students have low vocabulary and grammar they will difficult to communicate.
Someone’s skill in communication can be seen in two ways, that is orally and in writing. In oral communication, there is an important element which is necessary to be taught, that is about pronunciation. Sometimes, there are some differences between spelling and pronunciation. If some one pronounced some words incorrectly, he or she cannot express his or her idea correctly. In other word, if he or she is listening to someone’s speaking and he or she has some mistakes in his or her pronunciation, it also can influence his or her own skill to understand what he or she heard.
In this skripsi, the writer takes a title “The Speaking Ability of the second Year Students at UNIROW Tuban”
1.2 Statement of the Problem
According to the background of the study above, the writer has some problems that are going to be answered as follows:
1. How far is the student’s ability in speaking for the junior level at UNIROW Tuban?
2. How are the students responses in speaking using an interactive dialogue technique?
1.3 Objective of the Study
Based on the statement of the problems above, the writer has some purposes:
1. To determine the students speaking ability of the second year student in UNIROW Tuban.
2. To find out the significant different between students in first year and second year student in UNIROW Tuban.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The result of the study are expected to be useful input for the following group:
To the teacher :
1. The result of the study can be used by teachers of English to improve vocabulary ability of the student
2. The result of the study will contribute to the improvement of English teaching, notably the teaching of speaking
3. The result of the study will be useful information for the improvement of teaching vocabulary
To the student :
1. The result of the study will the students to be able to improve vocabulary ability
2. The result of the study will give the students to be able to apply speaking with their teacher and their friend.
1.5 Limitation of the Study
To maximize the result of this study author focuses the research at second year student in UNIROW Tuban.
1.6 Definition of Key Terms
To avoid misunderstanding, the author would like to give the definition of key terms as follow:
1. Study : Particular person’s learning activities (Oxford Advanced Learner’s Pocket Dictionary new Edition : 292)
2. Mastery : Great skill of knowledge (Oxford learner’s Pocket Dictionary Current New Edition : 256)
3. Speaking : Be able to use language (Oxford learner’s Pocket Dictionary Current, English, Oxford, Oxford University press, 1994: 398)
4. Second Year Student : Student who learns in the second year of the school
5. UNIROW Tuban: A name of local University.
CHAPTER II in Skripsi consist of REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE. The content of Chapter 2 is depend on the title and topic chosen by student. Each student may use different structure and explanation in Chapter two as long as it define the topic clearly. In this topic, the content of chapter two would be:
A. Speaking Ability
- Definition of Speaking
- Purpose of Speaking
- Function of Speaking
B. The Teaching of Speaking
- The Method of Teaching Speaking
C. Presenting Speaking
- Presenting Speaking by Dialogue
- Definition of Dialogue
- English Dialogue